1/2 cup whole basil leaves
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Here is simple and a basil mayonnaise recipe that is ideal for all that fresh basil you have lying around. This recipe will show you how to turn your bland mayonnaise into something that will bring tons to your next sandwich.
1) Use as much basil as you want, but for best results use 1/2 cup of freshly cut whole basil leaves, give or take.
2) Add the basil leaves to a food processor.
3) Measure 1 cup of mayonnaise. Any type of mayonnaise will do, or if you want to make it healthier, use fat free mayonnaise.
4) Add the mayonnaise to the food processor with the basil already in it.
5) Squeeze 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice into the food processor.
6) With the same lemon, use a zester or cheese grater and add 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon zest into the food processor.
7 ) Mix all the ingredients together until the mixture is smooth.
You now have fresh, tangy basil mayonnaise. It is highly recommended to wait 24 hours before using it. If you can wait, let it sit over night in your fridge. It will taste much better a day later when all the flavors come together and mellow down, especially the lemon.
Basil mayonnaise tastes great on sandwiches, burgers, crackers, or even as a dip.